Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Decorating Christmas Cut-out Cookies

I never thought that one day I'd be making decorated cookies. Probably because I never imagined cookies being decorated in the first place. To be honest, it was only last September that I've heard about decorated sugar cookies or also known as cut-out cookies. Even when I was a kid, when somebody speaks of cookies, the only thing that comes to my mind was the ever popular chocolate chip cookie. Thanks to the magazine I was reading at a dental clinic before having my teeth cleaned which had given me the idea that it actually exist. I was so thrilled about it that when I get back home, I hurriedly opened my laptop and searched if there's a sugar cookie recipe that I could try out over weekend. And yep...there were lots of recipes online. The image below was my first trial. I've used the same cutters that I always use in making my fondant cut-outs.

 Taken straight from the oven.

 Transferred to a wire rack to cool completely.

Prepared icing colors. (I used royal icing)

 Outlined the cookie.

Flooding my cookies.

 I've put additional details on my Christmas tree cookies.

Snowflake cookies and parol cookies (also known as Christmas star lantern cookies)

 Christmas ball cookies and mini heart cookies. (The icing was still wet that's why they appeared glossy or shiny)

 And here's after the icing has thoroughly dried. (Not so shiny anymore)

 Christmas bell cookies


I've decided to make Christmas themed cookies for my first trial because I intend to make some for this upcoming holiday season. The cookies seemed too soft when I took a bite though. Maybe I had taken the cookies out of the oven earlier than I should or I probably wasn't able to preheat the oven long enough. They weren't that perfect but I'm already thankful that the experience had not been a disaster either. I will be posting my other cookie encounters some other time. Of course, I made another batch of those yummy cookies.:)

No comments: